Houston, TX 77035
BioProcess Production Manager
At Solugen, we believe planet-scale change starts with the chemistry we use every day. So, we’ve built the world’s first carbon negative molecule factory. Fusing biology with chemistry and technology to make the materials we need to sustain life on Earth. Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary product and technology company seeking to use biology to transform the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a post-Series D venture-backed biotechnology company supported by renowned venture capital firms including Founders Fund, FiftyYears, Refactor, Y Combinator, Temasek, GIC, and Baillie-Gifford. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen has recently started-up a first-of-its-kind carbon-negative manufacturing facility - The BioforgeTM - that uses a novel chemoenzymatic technology to manufacture bio-based chemistries for a wide range of applications including water treatment, agriculture, personal care, and other applications. Solugen currently has 175+ full time employees.
Reporting to the Plant Director, this individual will be responsible for overseeing day to day operations in Solugen’s fermentation plant. This is a hands-on role where the individual’s initiative, energy level, management prowess and creativity will make a substantial impact on the company. This individual will be responsible for the day-to-day management and operation of Solugen’s fermentation plant.
- Assist in install, commissioning, and startup of a fermentation plant
- Train operations staff in aseptic techniques such as sampling, culture propagation, and sterile fermentation
- Schedule operations to ensure high plant uptime/OEE
- Propose and support rating adding, rate protecting, compliance and surveillance investment opportunities
- Manage equipment failures and conduct root cause analysis
- Support operations by providing daily operational and engineering support
- Provide mentorship and coaching to team members – including early career engineers and operators
- Skilled in bioprocess operations, including aseptic operations (sampling, feeding, SIP), culture propagation (seed flask to seed tank to production tank), and fundamentals of fermentation science (i.e. measuring OTR, troubleshooting cell growth, contamination RCAs), and downstream processing (DSP) & recovery
- Able to develop operator training curriculum and teach aseptic operations (including basic labs skills) to operations staff
- Basic understanding of production scheduling software (e.g. SuperPro, BrewPlanner, etc) a plus
- Attention to detail and organization
- Good communication, negotiation, leadership, and project management skills with the desire to further develop these skills as the company grows
- Commitment to safe workplace goals and practices that ensure operational integrity, including compliance with all regulatory policies and procedures
- Comfortable following safety protocols and wearing personal protective equipment—including hard hats, gloves, earplugs, and respirators--in work zones
- Good familiarity with Office products as well as a general level of comfort with online communication and work management platforms such as Dropbox, Google Doc, and Slack
- Analytical approach to problem solving, with a focus on managing a team environment with attention to results and a sense of urgency
- Be nimble, embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture
- A passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and schedule
- Be comfortable working in multiple roles
- Emphasize safety above all else
- Respect for others
- Creative problem solving
- Willingness to learn and research new engineering/science concepts
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Biology and minimum 5 years experience working in a fermentation/bioprocess production capacity (pilot plant or larger) in a leadership role. May substitute additional 5 years fermentation operations experience for BS degree.
Up to 10% travel required.
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.