14549 Minetta St., Houston TX 77035
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary technology company seeking to use biology to transform the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a post-Series B venture-backed startup company supported by renowned venture capital firms including Temasek, Founders Fund, Fifty Years, Refactor, and Y Combinator. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen is currently scaling up its manufacturing facility to use its chemoenzymatic process to manufacture biobased chemistries for water treatment, agriculture, and personal care. Solugen currently has 100+ full time employees.
Reporting directly to the Director of Enzymology, this individual will be assigned to a variety of projects for Solugen’s R&D and manufacturing facility. Their role will center around one key R&D project. This individual will also assist the R&D and products teams, and Solugen’s enterprise partners/customers with procurement, experiments, and pilot studies to support the organization’s future production and revenue goals. This is a hands-on role where the individual’s initiative, laboratory prowess, and energy level will make a substantial impact on the company. As the company grows and the individual progresses, the ideal candidate for this position can move up and laterally to different areas within the company including experimental design, commercial plant operations, process optimization, and technical business development.
- Assist Director of Enzymology in designing and executing protein engineering experiments.
- Maintain a safe and orderly laboratory in compliance with all safety policies and practices.
- Write standard operating procedures related to enzyme technologies.
- Initiate and monitor benchtop experiments under the direction of the R&D team.
- Engage in new product design, development, and testing.
- Train employees to execute laboratory tasks related to protein engineering and supporting activities.
- Attention to detail and organization.
- Ability to exercise common molecular biology techniques including microbial cell culture, sterile field technique, isolation of nucleic acids, polymerase chain reaction, cloning, restriction digests, nucleic acid and protein gel electrophoresis, centrifugation, autoclaving, and pipetting.
- Willingness to self-learn a broad range of new technical skills.
- Ability to exercise protein engineering techniques such as protein purification, mutagenesis, high-throughput liquid handling, screening assay development, macromolecule visualization (PyMol, VMD, etc.), and data analysis.
- Experience in X-ray crystallography, NMR, cryo-EM, or other protein structure determination methods is preferred.
- Competency in protein engineering-related software (Rosetta, PROSS, FoldX, etc.), text-based scripting (Python, Perl, etc.), and proficiency with Unix systems.
- Experience with machine learning methods for protein engineering is preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with strain engineering techniques for enhanced protein production.
- Ability to run fermentation experiments for protein production in deep well plates, shake flasks and 1-5 L fermenters.
- Ability to generate reports and visualize data in an organized, timely, quantitative, and thorough manner.
- Good communication, negotiation, leadership, and project management skills with the desire to further develop these skills as the company grows.
- Comfortable following safety protocols and wearing personal protective equipment—including laboratory coats, eye protection, and close toed shoes --in work zones.
- A PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or related field with heavy emphasis on microbial culturing, cloning, enzymology, and protein engineering. A postdoc or 2 or more years of industry experience is preferred but not required.
- Good familiarity with Office products as well as a general level of comfort with online communication and work management platforms such as Dropbox, Google Doc, and Slack.
- Analytical approach to problem solving, with a focus on managing a team environment with attention to results and a sense of urgency.
- Be nimble, embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture.
- A passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change.
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and schedule.
- Be comfortable working in multiple roles.
- Emphasize safety above all else.
- Respect for others.
- Creative problem solving.
- Willingness to learn and research new engineering/science concepts.
PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or related field. 2 or more years of full-time employment (academic or industry) in related fields is desirable.
Full-time relocation to Houston
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.