Southwest Houston/Greenway Plaza
People Business Partner
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary technology company seeking to use biology to transform the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a post-Series C venture-backed startup company supported by renowned venture capital firms including Founders Fund, Fifty Years, Refactor, and Y Combinator, plus international sovereign wealth funds from Singapore. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen is currently commissioning its manufacturing facility to use its chemienzymatic processes to create biobased chemistries for water treatment, agriculture, and personal care.
Solugen’s mission is to decarbonize chemicals manufacturing. As a first step, Solugen is building a 10,000 tpy first commercial plant with the potential to offset up to 37,000 tpy of carbon dioxide equivalents. For the plant and company to operate efficiently, support departments such as Operations, have an important role. Additional plants and locations are highly likely. Solugen currently employs approximately 155 people across two physical plant locations in Texas and with a few remote working employees across the country. We are anticipating additional growth over the next few years to at least double from this level of employees and with new plants outside of Texas.
The People Business Partner (HRBP) position is responsible for aligning business objectives with employees and management in designated business units. The position formulates partnerships across the HR function and operations stakeholders to deliver value-added service to management and employees that reflects the business objectives of the organization. This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department. Position is required to be 3 days on site (Minetta) – 2 days remote.
- Communication: Create a recurring meeting (s) (or channels) with Directors, Managers and employees to ensure company goals, policies and programs are fully communicated and discussed. This communication line is also to provide any instant feedback or HR guidance for day to day operations, including employee relations, investigations and rewards and recognition.
- Learning and Development: In the first 6 months the employee will assess training needs for managers and employees, develop an implementation plan and possible alternatives to ensure the employees complete continued education is fully executed. People BP will be responsible for monitoring training programs to ensure success. Follow up to ensure training objectives are met. This person will assess the overall company wide leveling structure, implement, and administer the program with assistance of external consultants. Finally, this person will manage with the assistance of the HR manager, all activities related with performance snapshots and feedback loops after the performance management cycle has concluded.
- Data Analysis and Engagement: On a quarterly basis, report and analyze trends and metrics (Enps, pulse surveys, engagement, etc) in partnership with the HR group to develop solutions, programs and policies. This person serves as a partner and provides guidance and input on business unit restructures, workforce planning and succession planning.
- Legal & Policies: People BP provides guidance and input on business unit restructures, workforce planning and succession planning. This person needs to ensure that the company is aligned with legal requirements relating to day to day management, reducing risk and ensuring compliance with support of the legal team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies.
- Ability to acquire a thorough understanding of the organization's hierarchy, jobs, qualifications, compensation practices, and the administrative practices related to those factors.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Google Suite, Slack and Microsoft Office Tools.
- Promote diversity awareness in hiring practices.
- Mentor managers on employee development best practices.
- Responsible for administering performance management program.
- Advise leadership on hiring and terminations.
- Administer leaves with assistance of HR Generalist.
- Provide guidance on employee behavior and conflict resolution.
- Conduct investigations in response to employee complaints.
- Partner with leadership to develop succession plans.
- Ask a lot of questions, be curious, and have insights into your work. Don’t assume anything, ask!
- Be nimble, embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture.
- A passion for fighting climate change.
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and schedule.
- Be comfortable working in multiple roles, backing up others.
- Emphasize safety above all else. If you see problems, report them immediately.
- Respect for others and their uniqueness.
- Creative problem solving.
- Drive insights on finance issues and support them with data.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience resolving complex employee relations issues.
- Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines, including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, employee and union relations, diversity, performance management, and federal and state respective employment laws.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) credential is highly preferred.
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.