14549 Minetta St.
Houston TX 77035
Vice President of Sustainability
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary technology company seeking to use biology to transform and reduce the carbon footprint of the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a Series C startup company supported by diverse long-term investors including Baillie Gifford, GIC, Temasek, BlackRock, Carbon Direct, Founders Fund, Fifty Years, Refactor, and Y Combinator. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen has created the world’s first carbon negative specialty chemicals manufacturing facility: the BioforgeTM. This manufacturing technology leverages Solugen’s chemienzymatic process to convert biobased feedstocks into high performance products for water treatment, agriculture, infrastructure, and personal care. Solugen currently has 100+ full time employees.
As the creator and operator of the world’s first carbon negative manufacturing platform, the BioforgeTM, sustainability is core to Solugen’s mission to decarbonize chemicals manufacturing. The core mission of the VP of Sustainability is to create and own the standards by which the chemicals industry will be measured, representing Solugen as the thought leader in our industry. This individual is tasked with building a team comprising internal champions, external consultants, and external thought leaders to quantify and communicate Solugen’s carbon footprint across the entirety of our operations and activities. This individual and his/her team will leverage their internal work and thought leadership to drive upside by engaging with our sales and IR team surrounding commercial and investor discussions.
- Solugen becomes the foremost thought leader on what decarbonization means for the chemicals industry by shaping LCA discussions and standards industry wide
- Implement tools that enable the ever-green quantification of carbon footprints across Solugen’s products, supply chain, and operations within 1 year
- Use these tools to provide detailed guidance to each department on additional carbon reduction opportunities
- Engage with external experts and thought leaders to adopt and implement the latest guidance on LCA
- Manage and grow Solugen’s customer LCA stakeholder group by working across marketing, commercial, government, and finance
- Drafting and Communicating Solugen’s annual sustainability reports
- Expert and thought leader on Life Cycle Analysis, including multiple publications in the field
- Analytical, curious, strong executive presence, ability to handle ambiguity, ability to work in unstructured and fast paced environment, strong public speaking capability
- Ability to manage multiple projects and hire and oversee a capable team
- Ability to communicate sustainability metrics across all levels (e.g. from executive elevator pitch to customer expert counterpart)
- Commercial, Marketing, and/or Business Development acumen and expertise
- Ability to be nimble with a willingness to embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture
- Passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change
- Comfort working in multiple roles
- Ability to self-manage and set priorities and schedule
- Creative problem-solving nature
- Appreciation and emphasis for safety above all else
- Respect for others
- PhD in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering or related STEM field.
- 3-5 years of experience performing/researching LCA
- Knowledge of project management and/or development
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, and Project
- Persuasive presentation abilities
- Demonstrated track record of effective people influence
- Strong analytical thought process for analyzing product & market fit, market approaches, market wants and needs and measures of effectiveness
- A curious, creative & self-starter individual who can thrive in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Must be nimble and able to multi-task. Able to manage multiple project.
- Has executive presence and can represent Solugen in conferences or in customer meetings.
- Critical thinker who can utilize their experience and quickly draw conclusions based on incomplete data. He/she is not afraid to propose and try new ideas and methods.
- Comfortable working in multi-cultural and dynamic environment.