14549 Minetta St., Houston TX 77035
Research Scientist (Scientist I) - Strain Development
With innovation and the commitment to lowering carbon footprint, Solugen Inc. is commercializing a chemo-enzymatic process to manufacture value-added chemicals from biobased feedstocks for a variety of uses and applications. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a venture-backed startup company located in Houston, TX. Solugen is scaling up its manufacturing process on 5 acres of manufacturing space with a 65,000 square foot facility containing 10,000 square feet of office and lab space. Solugen currently has 100+ full time employees.
Solugen’s mission is to decarbonize chemicals manufacturing. As a first step, Solugen built its first 10,000 tons per year commercial plant with potential to offset 37,000 tons per year of carbon dioxide equivalents. This role will directly support Solugen’s mission by continuously improving our ability to scale enzyme production to support our core platform. The individual will report to the Head of Strain Engineering and assist with experiments and analysis to support the Solugen’s future R&D, production, and revenue goals. This role will be involved in optimizing growth conditions in multi bioreactor settings of Solugen’s production hosts to maximize their performance. As the production strains continuously improve, the quality of Solugen’s products and our cost to manufacture improve. This is a hands-on role where the individual’s initiative, laboratory prowess, and energy will make a substantial impact on the company.
- Within 6 months, establish and independently run multi-reactor systems, record, and analyze data in a LIMS-based environment.
- Familiarity with design of experiments for bioprocess improvements, demonstrated through tangible results from Solugen's production hosts.
- Visualize data analysis and deliver results on a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Biology, or related field with a focus on bioprocess development and fermentation for heterologous protein production.
- Familiarity with multi-reactor fermentation systems, up- and downscaling, and LIMS integration of resulting data.
- Knowledge of molecular biology techniques is desired (DNA-, RNA-, protein-extractions, PCR, cloning, SDS-PAGE, Western blotting)
- Impeccable sterile technique, and passion to handle a variety of pro- and eukaryotic microorganisms
- Familiarity with relevant software to multi-reactor systems (BioCommand)
- Must be able to prioritize and self-organize with a mind set to succeed
- Good communicator with excellent verbal and writing skills
- Curiosity and willingness to learn and ask a lot of questions
- Being nimble, embracing the speed of startup culture
- Passionate for green chemistry and fighting climate change
- Emphasis on safety
- Respect for others
Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Biology, or related field with a focus on bioprocessing of eukaryotic microorganisms for heterologous protein expression