Houston, TX 77035
Product Marketing Specialist
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary technology company seeking to use biology to transform and reduce the carbon footprint of the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a Series C venture-backed startup company supported by diverse long-term investors including Baillie Gifford, GIC, Temasek, BlackRock, Carbon Direct, Founders Fund, Fifty Years, Refactor, and Y Combinator. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen has created the world’s first carbon negative specialty chemicals manufacturing facility: the Bioforge TM. This manufacturing technology leverages Solugen’s chemoenzymatic process to convert bio-based feedstocks into high performance products for water treatment, O&G, agriculture, infrastructure, food and personal care. Solugen currently has 175+ full time employees.
Solugen has a rich pipeline of high performance and carbon negative molecules launching on its Bioforge TM manufacturing platform. Each molecule is destined for a corresponding pipeline of products co-created by Solugen’s customers and product development teams. The Product Marketing Specialist is responsible for managing a portion of the product portfolio under the direction of the Sr Product Marketing Manager. They will promote a strong market orientation, influencing strategy formation and investment decisions. They will create and build value propositions and sales enablement tools based on in-depth customer knowledge. They will work closely with cross functional teams throughout the product development process, as well as develop and implement marketing plans to meet revenue and profit targets.
- 1-2 year implementation plan (strategy, tactic, and communication) for relevant market segments
- Product line design and branding
- Strategic mindset
- Strong project management and /or implementation abilities. Exceptional time management
- Self-driven, confident, resourceful, analytical, curious, strong executive presence Feel comfortable with ambiguity and constant change
- Ability to work in unstructured and fast paced environment
- Ability to work and lead a cross-functional and multicultural team environment
- Take complete ownership of the marketing strategy implementation (4Ps implementation)
- Market intelligence savvy (primary and secondary research)
- Perform quick analysis to recommend tactics, market to focus and/or technologies to develop with an outside-in perspective
- Ability to be nimble with a willingness to embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture
- Passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change
- Comfort working in multiple roles
- Ability to self-manage and set priorities and schedule
- Resourceful and creative problem-solving nature
- Appreciation and emphasis for safety above all else
- Respect for others
- Must have a strong understanding and appreciation for chemical products in assigned markets, usually acquired through a combination of completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or Science as well as Marketing or Business experience in a chemical manufacturing environment. MBA is plus but not required
- Track record of successfully design and implement marketing plans (4/6Ps) including communication plan
- Experience developing unique content for varying target audiences
- Experience in new product development and commercialization is a plus
- Must have a passion for product ownership and market development
- Must be nimble and able to multi-task. Able to manage multiple projects with limited resources and time constraints
- Must possess and demonstrate excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- High achiever who works well in team setting with limited structure or incomplete information
- Proven track record of thriving in a cross-functional team environment
- Ability to deliver results through exceptional project management skills and leadership capabilities.
- Strong computer proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- B2B experience from a chemical business or similar
- Project management skills
- Own the segments that they support, including the products and go-to-market, by developing and executing the overall strategy in line with the company strategy and by maximizing profitability of the segment
- Work closely with Product team, Regulatory and Sales
- Leverage the 4 Ps (Product, Price, Promotion, Placement) to develop and implement strategies and tactics to increase sales and margins.
- Meet regularly with customers to understand customer needs and product requirements
- Collaborate with sales to develop and implement regional and/or national marketing programs, provide ongoing measurement of promotional initiatives. Build tools that support new product launches
- Have a deep understanding of the market needs and the competitive offerings through primary and secondary research methods. Use this understanding to develop clear quantified value propositions versus the next best alternative
- Develop business cases and product requirements for new products, with clear value propositions for the customer and competitive differentiation that leads to financial success for the company
- Work alongside a high-performance product development team though all product development stages to ensure successful product launch.
- Drive new product launches through the development and implementation of commercialization/communication plans that includes digital and traditional media content, promotional material development, sales tools, conducting educational sessions to both internal (sales team) and external (channel, end user) customers among others
- Devise and create marketing campaigns to drive lead generation and conversion, lead nurturing and brand awareness.
- Participate in industry trade shows, conferences, and seminars
- Leverage the corporate business philosophies in all aspects of product management and decision making and actively participate in on-going project teams that maximize overall organizational effectiveness and efficiency
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.