Director of Business Development
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary technology company seeking to use biology to transform and reduce the carbon footprint of the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a Series D venture-backed startup company supported by diverse long-term investors including Baillie Gifford, GIC, Temasek, BlackRock, Carbon Direct, Founders Fund, Fifty Years, Refactor, and Y Combinator. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen has created the world’s first carbon negative specialty chemicals manufacturing facility: the BioforgeTM. This manufacturing technology leverages Solugen’s chemienzymatic process to convert biobased feedstocks into high performance products for water treatment, agriculture, infrastructure, and personal care. Solugen currently has 100+ full time employees.
Solugen has a rich pipeline of high performance and carbon negative molecules launching on its BioforgeTM manufacturing platform. Each molecule is destined for a corresponding pipeline of products co-created by Solugen’s customers and product development teams. The Director of Business Development will have a critical role developing markets for new products and molecules with customers. This individual will work with POC products, new molecules and new applications and test the value proposition of them. This individual will be accountable for developing new products and markets for a portfolio of POCs or new products that achieves >$10M GP within 5 years. This individual will be primarily responsible for the customer relationships through the first PO.
- Developing new products and markets for a portfolio that achieves > $10 million in ratable ARR within 5 years
- Secures first POs for new products, applications or molecules with customers
- Test the value proposition of 2-5 new products, molecules or applications with customers within the first 12 months (lab testing, field trial etc.)
- Signing of MOU’s, definitive agreements and / or JDA’s with strategic customers
- Develop a clear and coherent business strategy in conjunction with the VP of Business Development for the assigned territory
- Analytical, curious, strong executive presence, ability to handle ambiguity, ability to work in unstructured and fast paced environment, strong public speaking capability
- Work closely with the Director of Product (s), commercial and marketing teams to validate the market and value proposition for proof of concepts and early stage products
- Follows development of competing products and industry trend
- Ability to conduct white space analysis to recommend what products or molecules to be developed next by product innovation team
- Ability to prioritize different customers based on metrics such as revenue or time to market
- Ability to be nimble with a willingness to embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture
- Passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change
- Comfort working in multiple roles
- Ability to self-manage and set priorities and schedule
- Creative problem-solving nature
- Appreciation and emphasis for safety above all else
- Respect for others
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 10 years of experience or PhD in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering and at least 8 years of experience.
- Track record of winning business for new products or emerging technologies
- Strong negotiation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, and Project
- Persuasive presentation abilities and ability to influence many different personalities.
- Strong analytical thought process for analyzing product & market fit, market approaches, market wants and needs and measures of effectiveness
- A curious, creative & self-starter individual who can thrive in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Must be nimble and able to multi-task. Able to manage multiple project.
- Has executive presence and can represent Solugen in conferences or in customer meetings.
- Local candidate in Houston/Sugar Land is preferred. However, we will consider a Rockstar from other locations.
- Critical thinker who can utilize their experience and quickly draw conclusions based on incomplete data. He/she is not afraid to propose and try new ideas and methods.
- Comfortable working in multi-cultural, fast paced, and dynamic environment.
- Willingness to travel up to 70%
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.