Laboratory Department Manager (LDM)
$90,000 - 110,000
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary technology company seeking to use biology to transform the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a post-Series B venture-backed startup company supported by renowned venture capital firms including Founders Fund, Fifty Years, Refactor, and Y Combinator. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen is currently scaling up its manufacturing facility to use its chemienzymatic process to manufacture biobased chemistries for water treatment, agriculture, and personal care. Solugen currently has 90+ full-time employees.
Solugen’s mission is to decarbonize chemicals manufacturing. As a first step, Solugen is building a 10,000 tpy first commercial plant with the potential to offset up to 37,000 tpy of carbon dioxide equivalents.
Reporting to the Laboratory Manager this individual will be responsible for direct support of Solugen R&D operations. The position will develop and manage systems identified as critical to the success of R&D operations as well as provide routine and non-routine support to R&D staff as necessary.
This position will be in Houston, Texas.
- Purchase Order Management: Issue purchase orders. Develop streamlined systems for organizing and retrieving past ordering data to assist laboratory workers. Work with accounting to deliver packing slips and other information as needed.
- Vendor Management: Schedule preventative or corrective maintenance for equipment. Schedule maintenance or repair of facilities.
- Laboratory Training Program: Establish a robust program to train employees in PPE use, first aid, CPR, evacuation procedures, etc.
- Laboratory Inspections: Schedule laboratory inspections from neutral third parties and develop action items and corrective actions based upon findings.
- Chemical Inventory Management: Manage chemical inventory database. Conduct regular reviews of chemical inventory to ensure chemicals are stored safely and in compliance with regulations. Develop and manage chemical request process for safely introducing new chemicals to the laboratory.
- Laboratory Supplies and PPE Management: Monitor common consumables including paper towels, gloves, pipettes, goggles, etc. Manage lab coat program.
- Waste Management: Manage waste disposal activities in support of R&D operations. Ensure Solugen is operating and handling its waste in accordance with TCEQ and EPA regulations.
- Establish and Manage Laboratory 5S Program
- Sample Management: Provide cataloguing system for laboratory samples.
- Laboratory Notebooks: Issue and ensure laboratory notebooks are maintained appropriately and contain the correct level of detail.
- Shipping and Receiving: Receive packages. Collect packing slips and ensure shipments are complete. Ensure shipments with special storage conditions are handled promptly and appropriately (i.e., cold storage biological samples). Assist R&D members with shipping samples.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Knowledge of chemical, hazardous waste, industrial hygiene, and/or environmental health standards.
- Knowledge of calibration and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Identifies, plans, and executes process improvement initiatives for the lab
- Exhibits the ability to work well with others and maintain organization between cross-related departments.
- Familiar with data entry platforms and can effectively learn and manage online systems.
- Ask a lot of questions, be curious, and have insights into your work
- Be nimble, embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture.
- A passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change.
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and schedule.
- Be comfortable working in multiple roles.
- Emphasize safety above all else.
- Respect for others.
- Creative problem-solving.
- Willingness to learn and research new engineering/science concepts.
- A bachelor's degree in a science discipline is required.
- Three years of experience operating and maintaining science equipment and materials in a laboratory or similar setting is required.
- Three years of experience working with logistics or logistics systems.
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
- Strong communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
- Strong project management skills and the ability to set objectives and deliver results
- Strong problem-solving skills
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.