Southwest Houston/Greenway Plaza
Internship, Business Development
At Solugen, we believe planet-scale change starts with the chemistry we use every day. So we’ve built the world’s first carbon negative molecule factory. Fusing biology with chemistry and technology to make the materials we need to sustain life on Earth.
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary product and technology company seeking to use biology to transform the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a post-Series C venture-backed biotechnology company supported by renowned venture capital firms including Founders Fund, FiftyYears, Refactor, Y Combinator, Temasek, GIC, and Baillie-Gifford. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen currently has 100+ full time employees.
Solugen has a rich pipeline of high performance and carbon negative molecules launching on its BioforgeTM manufacturing platform. Each molecule is destined for a corresponding pipeline of products co-created by Solugen’s customers and product development teams. The Intern will have a critical role in supporting development of market segment growth strategies. This individual will assist in capturing key market, customer and value proposition concepts in to a single strategy document that will become an integral part of Solugen’s commercial roadmap. They will collaborate with Product Development, Product Marketing, Business Development, Sales, Process Development, and Supply Chain.
- Collect data needed for market valuation (overall and application specific).
- Assist in some market research and voice of customers to develop value proposition statements and packaging.
- Develop at least one market Playbook.
- Analytical, curious, strong executive presence, ability to handle ambiguity, ability to work in unstructured and fast paced environment, strong public speaking capability.
- Work closely with the VP, Business Development to develop the strategic framework for the Playbook to project manage the outputs by working closely with the Product, Marketing, and Sales teams.
- Ability to conduct relevant market research independently and translate that in to meaningful context for the team to consider or to eliminate content from our scope(s) of work.
- Ability to be nimble with a willingness to embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture.
- Passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change.
- Comfort working in multiple roles.
- Ability to self-manage and set priorities and schedule.
- Creative problem-solving nature.
- Appreciation and emphasis for safety above all else.
- Respect for others.
- Bachelor's degree or Master’s degree in a Business, Engineering, or Science Degree.
- A commercial mindset is a must and an entrepreneurial spirit is preferred.
- 0 – 2 yrs of relevant industry experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, and Project.
- Persuasive presentation abilities.
- Strong analytical thought process for analyzing product & market fit, market approaches, market wants and needs and measures of effectiveness.
- A curious, creative & self-starter individual who can thrive in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Must be nimble and able to multi-task. Able to manage multiple projects.
- Critical thinker who can utilize their experience and quickly draw conclusions based on incomplete data. He/she is not afraid to propose and try new ideas and methods.
- Comfortable working in multi-cultural and dynamic environment.
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.