14549 Minetta St., Houston TX 77035
Senior Technical Applications Specialist
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary technology company seeking to use biology to transform the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a post-Series B venture-backed startup company supported by renowned venture capital firms including Founders Fund, Fifty Years, Refactor, and Y Combinator. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen is currently scaling up its manufacturing facility to use its chemienzymatic process to manufacture biobased chemistries for water treatment, agriculture, and personal care. Solugen currently has 90+ full time employees.
Solugen’s mission is to decarbonize chemicals manufacturing. As a first step, Solugen is building a 10,000 tpy first commercial plant with the potential to offset up to 37,000 tpy of carbon dioxide equivalents. This role will directly support Solugen’s mission by ensuring Solugen’s manufacturing and R&D assets are achieving high levels of output and utilization via offtake agreements. Ultimately, this includes spearheading the implementation of Solugen’s ScavSol solutions with the help of Solugen’s operational, commercial, technology and marketing partners. Reporting to the Product Director (TBD), this is a hands-on role where the individual’s initiative, chemical and application prowess, and energy level will make a substantial impact on the company’s mission. Additionally, this individual will serve as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Solugen’s water treatment additives. This individual will oversee the assigned field and laboratory-based client projects as well as the improvement of the current proof of concept design. As the company grows and the individual progresses, the ideal candidate for this position can move up and laterally to different areas within the company including commercial, marketing and technology roles.
- Successfully complete and maintain required safety training for both clients and Solugen.
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of Solugen’s core products in oilfield water treatment.
- Demonstrate practical knowledge of Solugen’s field measurement techniques and procedures.
- Provide a written conceptual procedure of a “proof of concept” utilizing Solugen’s products and procedures in the focus area of produced water treatment in scale and corrosion.
- Formulate and provide a customer accepted solutions as assigned containing ScavSol™ for field trials where ScavSol™ will provide a measurable and meaningful benefit to the customer.
- Formally present internally and externally and gain customer acceptance of the “proof of concept” plans including techno-economics for implementation.
- Provide an acceptable budget to management and maintain project spending limits for each field trial execution plan.
- Successfully achieve agreed customer KPI’s with each ScavSol application proposed.
- Present outcomes to the clients and successfully answer all objections based on scientific findings.
- Demonstrate 100% compliance to all Solugen and client safety requirements.
- Attention to detail and organization.
- Good communication, negotiation, leadership, and project management skills with the desire to further develop these skills as the company grows.
- Commitment to safe workplace goals and practices that ensure operational integrity, including compliance with all regulatory policies and procedures.
- Comfortable following safety protocols and wearing personal protective equipment—including hard hats, gloves, earplugs, and respirators--in work zones.
- Good familiarity with Office products as well as a general level of comfort with online communication and work management platforms such as Dropbox, Google Doc, and Slack.
- Advanced understanding of project management execution and scheduling software (e.g. Microsoft Project, Primavera)
- Analytical approach to problem solving, with a focus on managing a team environment with attention to results and a sense of urgency.
- Ask a lot of questions, be curious, and have insights into your work
- Be nimble, embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture.
- A passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change.
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and schedule.
- Be comfortable working in multiple roles.
- Emphasize safety above all else.
- Creative problem solving.
- Willingness to learn and research new engineering/science concepts.
Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry and minimum 5 years full-time experience working as a field and lab based Applications Specialist in Oil and Gas.
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.