R&D Ops Intern
Solugen is a groundbreaking technology company on a bold mission to decarbonize the physical world. At the heart of our innovation is the world’s first sustainable molecule factory—the Bioforge. This unique manufacturing platform uses a chemienzymatic process to convert plant-derived substances into essential materials that have historically been made from fossil fuels—all with minimal emissions and no hazardous waste. A highly scalable and localized alternative to conventional approaches, the Bioforge enables us to produce a range of high-performance, cost-competitive, and sustainable solutions to meet the diverse needs of our customers.
Ready to shape the future? Join us.
Are you passionate about sustainable solutions and combating climate change? We're always on the lookout for dynamic individuals who blend passion with adaptability. You thrive in an environment where curiosity propels you, questions are celebrated, and insights power your work. As a self-starter, you’ll embrace the pace and uncertainty of startup culture– that’s where the best ideas flourish. At our core, we prioritize safety above all, value respect for others, and consider creative problem-solving a superpower.
Solugen’s mission is to decarbonize chemicals manufacturing. As a first step, Solugen is building a 10,000 tpy first commercial plant with the potential to offset up to 37,000 tpy of carbon dioxide equivalents. This role will report into the Sr Director of R&D Operations with the objective of supporting but strategic and operational projects. To succeed in this role, you must thrive in a high growth, fast-evolving environment and be able to play a critical role in recommending, prioritizing, and driving strategic, operational, and organizational improvements with senior executives across the company.
While Solugen’s needs are always changing and unpredictable, there are lots of opportunities for the right candidate to add significant value in their summer:
- Manage complex and cross-functional projects to create new molecules and take them to market in partnership with Engineering, Operations, R&D, and Commercial teams
- Support creation and development of processes and analysis that enable success for our R&D organization
- Lead submission of government grants to significantly expand Solugen’s ability to make molecules
- Depending on background, opportunity to lead a project testing a new hypothesis for molecules or partnership
- Communicate findings and drive recommendations through to implementation and results
- Effective communicator: Prepare and present deliverables in oral, written, and visual formats relative to operational performance and other topics as required
- Relationship builder: Ability to build trust quickly and display a high degree of empathy and expertise at managing senior, cross-functional relationships
- Data-driven: Synthesize business insight from data to support fact-based decision making - identifying trends, issues, and opportunities for improvement across the organization
- Analytical problem solver: Demonstrated ability in developing data products that make data visible and create clarity across the organization
- Cross-functional partner: Own workstreams that drive business performance management and alignment from cross-functional leaders
- Humble learner: Able to put team above self and display curiosity in asking high value questions
- Time and priority management: Able to manage multiple projects and oversee work to effective completion
- Collaborative team player: Work as a key player within a high-performing team
- Comfort with technical concepts: Background in engineering, biology, chemistry, or manufacturing to help have an understanding of our technical process
- Adaptable: Comfortable with ambiguity that comes in working in a high-paced, start-up environment
- Ask a lot of questions, be curious, and have insights into your work
- Be nimble, embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture
- A passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and schedule
- Be comfortable working in multiple roles
- Emphasize safety above all else
- Respect for others
- Creative problem solving
- Willingness to learn and research new engineering/science concepts
- Currently pursuing an MBA in a full-time two-year program, graduating in May 2025
- 3-4 years of experience in a relevant role (e.g., management consulting, engineering management, chief of staff, or equivalent experience)
- Chemicals and / or manufacturing industry experience is a plus
- Experience analyzing processes, business systems, and operating models to identify actionable improvement opportunities
- Advanced skills with Excel, PowerPoint, Tableau, and other similar software
- Experience partnering on cross-functional projects or teams, with the ability to influence without formal authority
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to communicate insights to executive audiences
- Excellent analytical, quantitative, and qualitative problem solving, and project management skills
- Time and priority management skills – must juggle multiple time sensitive projects without failure
- Be team oriented, but know when to drive results personally
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.