Houston, TX 77035
At Solugen, we believe planet-scale change starts with the chemistry we use every day. So we’ve built the world’s first carbon negative molecule factory. Fusing biology with chemistry and technology to make the materials we need to sustain life on Earth.
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary product and technology company seeking to use biology to transform the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a post-Series C venture-backed biotechnology company supported by renowned venture capital firms including Founders Fund, FiftyYears, Refactor, Y Combinator, Temasek, GIC, and Baillie-Gifford. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen has recently started-up a first-of-its-kind carbon-negative manufacturing facility - The BioforgeTM - that uses a novel chemienzymatic technology to manufacture bio-based chemistries for a wide range of applications including water treatment, agriculture, personal care, and other applications. Solugen currently has 100+ full time employees.
Solugen’s mission is to decarbonize chemicals manufacturing. As a first step, Solugen is building a 10,000 tpy first commercial plant with the potential to offset up to 37,000 tpy of carbon dioxide equivalents.
Reporting to the Quality Manager, this individual will be responsible for support of the Quality Group, while also assisting Operations and R&D when necessary. This position is critical for ensuring Solugen products are of the highest quality.
- Product Quality: Support in verifying that raw materials, intermediates, and finalized products are acceptable for receiving, use in blending, and shipment. Support includes testing materials and marking general observations about product and container appearances, as well as notifying proper personnel of out of spec (OOS) material. Ensuring that all required documentation related to product quality are accurately recorded, properly secured, and successfully submitted to pertinent individuals. Activities also include generating and submitting Certificates of Analysis (CoA) for all company products being shipped.
- NetSuite (ERP/LIMS System): Logging, tracking, and generating results to and from the organization’s Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system. Solugen utilizes NetSuite as its current platform for logistics, supply chain, and quality tracking. Assisting the Quality Manager with reviewing and updating product and material quality specifications. Further utilization of the ERP system to monitor blending and shipment timeframes to prepare workloads in advance.
- Document Control: Assist Quality Manager and Department Managers with implementing and enforcing a comprehensive document control program to ensure critical policies, procedures, and work instructions are accurate, available, and up to date. Competencies included assisting the Quality Manager and Department Managers with creating procedures and work instructions and developing programs, plans, worksheets, forms, and logs to improve efficiency and coordination within the departments.
- Continuous Quality Improvement: Improvement of quality for products and processes is an essential element of ensuring that company products are of high standard and are constantly in line with market requirements. Cooperative activities will include notifying the Quality Manager and team of opportunities for improvement. Updating of plans, forms, procedures, processes, etc., are crucial for the continuous improvement of the company as a whole so that it can continue to reach its ever-growing goals and objectives.
- Inter- and Intra- departmental Communication: The Quality Group works with a multitude of other departments to ensure safety of employees and customers, reliability of products, and that proper shipping methods are utilized. Responsibilities include communicating via proper channels to provide updates on product status, as well as working with other members of the team, Operations, Procurement, and Logistics to resolve any issues that may arise.
- Sample Retention Management: Ensuring proper retention of samples is performed and maintained. This will include that proper labeling and identification methods are utilized, and that samples are stored in the proper areas for the required amount of time.
- ISO 9001 Implementation and Maintenance: Individual will provide support as an ISO Representative to ensure that departments within the company are equipped with the resources that are required for them to efficiently perform their duties. The individual will assist the QHSE team in implementing and maintaining ISO 9001 requirements.
- Well organized and extremely detailed oriented.
- Ability to work well with others with minimal supervision and maintain organization between cross-related departments.
- Familiar with data entry platforms and can effectively learn and utilize online systems.
- Ability to properly and accurately document and report test results to supervisors and coworkers in a timely manner.
- Ask a lot of questions, be curious, and have insights into your work.
- Be nimble, embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture.
- A passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change.
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and schedule.
- Be comfortable working in multiple roles.
- Emphasize safety above all else.
- Respect for others.
- Creative problem-solving.
- Willingness to learn and research new engineering/science concepts.
- At least 1 year of experience in quality assurance and quality control.
- Knowledge of scientific concepts and practices that provide the foundation for sample analysis, particularly in a chemical lab setting.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and follow work procedures as well as other work-related documents.
- Ability to ensure proper document control processes.
- A bachelor's degree in a science discipline.
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
- Strong communication skills (oral, written and presentation).
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- A strong regard for quality assurance in accordance with company standards.
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.