14549 Minetta St., Houston TX 77035
Director of Inorganic Sourcing
At Solugen, we believe planet-scale change starts with the chemistry we use every day. So we’ve built the world’s first carbon negative molecule factory. Fusing biology with chemistry and technology to make the materials we need to sustain life on Earth.
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary product and technology company seeking to use biology to transform the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a post-Series C venture-backed biotechnology company supported by renowned venture capital firms including Founders Fund, FiftyYears, Refactor, Y Combinator, Temasek, GIC, and Baillie-Gifford. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen currently has 100+ full time employees.
Solugen’s mission is to decarbonize chemicals manufacturing. As a first step, Solugen is building a 10,000 tpy first commercial plant with the potential to offset up to 37,000 tpy of carbon dioxide equivalents. Reporting to the Sr. Director, Global Sourcing, the Director of Inorganic Sourcing is responsible for strategically managing a segment of Solugen’s key commodities on a global basis to leverage Solugen’s buying power through global consolidation of spend, market intelligence, strategic supplier relationships, and the execution of global supply agreements. This role is analytical in nature while requiring a focus on supplier relationships and the ability to work cross functionally in a global organization.
- Attention to detail and organization.
- Good communication, negotiation, leadership, and project management skills with the desire to further develop these skills as the company grows.
- Handle communication with the Executive Leadership Team, direct colleagues and or direct reports about strategic approach intentions and methods for solving complex problems.
- Lead supply chain projects that develop a clear vision to support the sales and manufacturing
- Support global supplier quality management on Audits and Assessments of new and existing suppliers
- Ask a lot of questions, be curious, and have insights into your work
- Be nimble, embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture.
- A passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change.
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and schedule.
- Be comfortable working in multiple roles.
- Emphasize safety above all else.
- Respect for others.
- Creative problem solving.
- Willingness to learn and research new engineering/science concepts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Business, Economics or equivalent
- 5+ years strategic supply chain experience, including previous experience in the development and execution of category Strategies
- Proven negotiation track record
- Understanding and adaptability to work in a fast-paced manufacturing environment, and growing company, where processes and customer requirements evolve
- Experience with supplier interaction in driving innovation and cost reduction programs and processes
- Knowledge and experience with Lean concepts and driving operational excellence
- Self-starter and proactive. Ability to work at all levels in the organization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.