4 Greenway Plaza, Houston TX 77046
Strategic Finance Lead
At Solugen, we believe planet-scale change starts with the chemistry we use every day. So we’ve built the world’s first carbon negative molecule factory. Fusing biology with chemistry and technology to make the materials we need to sustain life on Earth.
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary product and technology company seeking to use biology to transform the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a post-Series C venture-backed biotechnology company supported by renowned venture capital firms including Founders Fund, FiftyYears, Refactor, Y Combinator, Temasek, GIC, and Baillie-Gifford. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen has recently started-up a first-of-its-kind carbon-negative manufacturing facility - The BioforgeTM - that uses a novel chemoenzymatic technology to manufacture bio-based chemistries for a wide range of applications including water treatment, agriculture, personal care, and other applications. Solugen currently has 150+ full time employees.
Solugen’s mission is to decarbonize chemicals manufacturing. As a first step, Solugen is building a 10,000 tpy first commercial plant with the potential to offset up to 37,000 tpy of carbon dioxide equivalents.
This role will directly support Solugen’s mission by ensuring Solugen’s finance department has the ability to manage performance by linking corporate strategy to execution. Gauge overall financial health by using key financial ratios ﴾e.g., debt to equity ratio, profit and loss, variance reports, financial statements﴿ and determine which of the company's products or product lines generate the largest portion of its profit. Create, update, and maintain financial models and detailed forecasts, measuring potential impacts to financial growth. Evaluate whether transitions are fit in the current strategy. Prepare internal reports for executive leadership. This role will directly support Solugen’s mission by ensuring Solugen’s financial strategy is aligned to the mission and growth of the organization.
- Collaborate with the Chief Financial Officer, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Technology Officer to address Solugen’s strategic finance needs including investor relations, M&A, and special projects requiring finance support, and new business unit research and finance analytical support.
- Support Solugen’s Investor relations needs including:
- Creating quarterly board meeting materials with relevant counterparts in FP&A, Business Operations, Operations, Engineering, and R&D
- Maintaining and updating Solugen’s investor relations collaterals, including but not limited to its management presentation, and various other technical and operational memos
- Help project manage capital raising efforts across both debt and equity sources
- Screen for potential capital partners across both debt and equity sources
- Maintain relationships and investor CRM system for Solugen
- Maintain data room
- Project manage and support the analysis of M&A and other corporate development efforts
- Collaborating with the VP of Technology, Chief Technology Officer, Chief Financial Officer, and Chief Executive Officer on the analysis, project management and execution of M&A, partnership, and other investment needs
- Project manage and support capital market projects including:
- Equity fundraises
- Debt financing, such as project financing
- Support new business unit’s finance needs (modelling, pricing, etc.)
- Attention to detail and organization.
- Highly analytical and understanding of leveraging financial analysis to drive strategic decision making.
- Ability to build and construct complex financial models.
- Track record of collaborating with other business units and decomposing complex ideas and translating them into financial models.
- Mastery over excel and other data analytics platforms (PowerBI, etc.)
- Good communication and project management skills with the desire to further develop these skills as the company grows.
- Ask a lot of questions, be curious, and have insights into your work.
- Be nimble, embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture.
- A passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change.
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and schedule.
- Be comfortable working in multiple roles.
- Emphasize safety above all else.
- Respect for others.
- Creative problem solving.
- Willingness to learn and research new engineering/science concepts.
- 6+ years of experience in investment banking, private equity, and or internal corporate finance / strategic finance / M&A roles.
- Independent, self-motivated individual with a positive, service-focused attitude. Excellent judgment with a strong work ethic.
- Deep subject matter expertise in corporate finance and FP&A.
- Strong collaborator and partner with demonstrated ability to drive cross functional collaboration across business and finance teams at all levels.
- Analytical thinker with honed problem solving and decision-making skills, including the ability to streamline and simplify complexity.
- Network of external relationships that can be leveraged to keep a pulse on the business, industry dynamics, capital markets and access to established and emerging leadership talent.
- High level communication and presentation skills in both formal and informal settings; experience with investors and investor relations is preferred.
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.