Houston TX, 77035
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary technology company seeking to use biology to transform the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a post-Series C venture-backed startup company supported by renowned venture capital firms including Founders Fund, Fifty Years, Refactor, and Y Combinator. Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen is currently scaling up its manufacturing facility to use its chemoenzymatic process to manufacture bio-based chemistries for water treatment, agriculture, and personal care. Solugen currently has 175+ full time employees.
Solugen’s mission is to decarbonize chemicals manufacturing. As a first step, Solugen has built a 10,000 tpy first commercial plant with the potential to offset up to 37,000 tpy of carbon dioxide equivalents. Solugen is now looking to expand by building additional manufacturing footprint. This role will directly support Solugen’s mission by working directly with the various departments to identify critical business data needs, develop a data strategy, and design and implement solutions to meet the business needs. The successful candidate will be able to work well in an evolving and dynamic environment with many competing demands and work closely with the supervisor to ensure focus is kept on the highest priority work. In addition, the incumbent will use their previous hands-on experience designing and implementing enterprise data architectures and data stores, as well as work with end users to extract/access data for us to implement a data solutions strategy/process for Solugen that supports and protects the growth of the organization.
1. Maintain and optimize data infrastructure for enterprise and manufacturing site.
2. Maintain and enforce data standards.
3. Maintain and execute corporate data archiving strategy.
4. Oversee the integration of new technologies and initiatives into current data standards and structures.
5. Own and deliver enterprise data strategy.
6. Evaluate the design, development, and implementation of database changes based on requested business requirements.
7. Support business specific projects to ensure adherence to enterprise data standards.
8. Regularly assess system performance and making recommendations for hardware, software, and data storage improvements.
9. Ensure data and information security by integrating and upholding digital security systems and protocols in line with the corporate cyber security program.
10. Identify and coordinate optimization opportunities for integration and accessibility of enterprise data. Technology or behavioral changes, or a combination of both, can be used to implement these improvements.
11. Provide administrative support of the company’s data infrastructure and systems.
12. Support IPO readiness activities. This includes helping to develop the controls, processes and technical improvements required to support the business’s activities as a public company.
1. Define enterprise data strategy.
2. Define and rollout enterprise data governance framework.
3. Drive design, development, and optimize data infrastructure to accelerate the processes of data analysis and reporting.
4. Develop standards of operation for handling and archiving data.
5. Design and develop data quality standards for business-critical data.
6. Develop and maintain data management plans and instructions for operating complex business systems.
7. Assist with the design, development, and implementation of integrations of data stores from multiple departments.
- Have hands-on IT support experience – data design and management, data analysis, and other data administration functions including collection, integration, and distribution.
- Experience developing, delivering, and managing a data governance framework and governance.
- Experience working with integrating large, disparate data sets to allow cross-functional reporting and dashboarding.
- Experience with data historians and visualization tools.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to nontechnical users.
- Own projects, solutions, and key responsibilities within the larger business initiatives.
- Partner with internal and external partners to communicate project status, activities, and achievements.
- Qualified candidate must have time management skills and be able to operate independently.
- Proactively identify issues and improvement opportunities – think through and provide suggestions for solving issues and improving processes
- Continuously be learning – be able to step outside his/her comfort zone regularly and learn new skills to bring to bear on the job
- Proactively establish relationships across the organization – be the first to make contact and listen to the needs of end users to help improve their experience with technology
- Have a full awareness and support for our health and safety programs – demonstrate by volunteering for related projects/presentations and vocalize your support in appropriate settings
- Ask a lot of questions, be curious, and have insights into your work.
- Be nimble, embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture.
- A passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change.
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and schedule.
- Be comfortable working in multiple roles.
- Emphasize safety above all else.
- Respect for others.
- Creative problem solving.
- Willingness to learn and research new information technology/engineering/science concepts.
- Bachelors in a computer science, computer engineering, or a related discipline.
- Industry or software specific certifications showing mastery of specific technology or framework.
- Demonstrated technical abilities in working with and managing databases and technologies – show explicit examples of work history.
- Chemical manufacturing industry experience.
- Demonstrated history of effectively project teams, including 3rd party contractors.
- Experience with:
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.