14549 Minetta St., Houston TX 77035
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary technology company seeking to use biology to transform the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and is a post-Series C venture-backed startup company supported by renowned venture capital firms including Founders Fund, Fifty Years, Refactor, and Y Combinator. Temasek, GIC, Bailie-Gifford, Located in Houston, Texas, Solugen is currently scaling up its manufacturing facility to use its chemienzymatic process to manufacture biobased chemistries for water treatment, agriculture, and personal care. Solugen currently has 100+ full time employees.
Solugen’s mission is to decarbonize chemicals manufacturing. As a first step, Solugen is building a 10,000 tpy first commercial plant with the potential to offset up to 37,000 tpy of carbon dioxide equivalents. This role will directly support Solugen’s mission by ensuring Solugen’s manufacturing and R&D assets are achieving high levels of output and utilization via automated controls systems. Ultimately, this includes spearheading the implementation of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning-enabled process controls systems with the help of Solugen’s commercial partners. Reporting to the Director Heterogeneous Catalysis, this is a hands-on role where the individual’s initiative, engineering prowess, and energy level will make a substantial impact on the company’s mission. This individual will participate in the development of heterogeneous catalysts (preparation, characterization, testing). This individual will also be responsible for the documentation of the obtained results and the transfer of the data to reacted departments like piloting and process development (ISO 9001).
- Attention to detail and organization.
- Good understanding of technical interactions and relations skills with the desire to further develop these skills as the company grows.
- Fundamental knowledge about heterogeneous catalysts development
- Fundamental knowledge on phys.-chemical analytics
- Commitment to safe workplace goals and practices that ensure operational integrity, including compliance with all regulatory policies and procedures.
- Comfortable following detailed work instructions
- Good familiarity with Office products as well as a general level of comfort with online communication and work management platforms such as Dropbox, Google Doc, and Slack.
- Ask a lot of questions, be curious, and have insights into your work
- Be nimble, embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture.
- A passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change.
- Ability to self-manage and set your own priorities and schedule.
- Be comfortable working in multiple roles.
- Emphasize safety above all else.
- Respect for others.
- Creative problem solving.
- Willingness to learn and research new engineering/science concepts.
Education in chemical technology or Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineer or related field and minimum 2 years full-time experience working in the chemical industry, preferably inorganic chemicals.