14549 Minetta St.
Houston TX 77035
Vice President of Communications
Solugen, Inc. is a revolutionary technology company seeking to use biology to transform and reduce the carbon footprint of the chemicals industry. Solugen was founded in 2016 and has raised over $400M from renowned investors including BlackRock, GIC, Baillie Gifford, Founders Fund, Temasek, Fifty Years, Refractor, and Y Combinator. Located in Houston, Texas. Solugen has scaled up its manufacturing facility to use its enzymatic process on bio feedstocks to make chemical products for water treatment, agriculture, and personal care. Solugen currently has 100+ full time employees.
To create a corporate communications plan and strategic roadmap leading up to Solugen’s IPO.
The candidate is expected to produce the following outcomes
- Create an Employee Communications Program (ECP) within 6 months of starting (*this is most critical)
- Observe: Assess Solugen’s current internal communication strategy and identify key metrics to track success including, but not limited to:
- Identify all internal & external communications tools used at the company
- How are employees currently using our these resources?
- Employee engagement metrics & NPS
- Employee referrals and employee social media sentiment
- Which areas are working well, why those areas are working well, and what needs improvement?
- Segment and map out the employee audience
- Plan the goals: Set realistic goals and timelines for what our ideal “end state” should look like for employee comms
- Plan out the architecture of the how we will achieve this end state
- Define the approval process and procedures on communications
- How will we determine what is worth communicating?
- Who or what teams will read, write, and approve messages?
- Who will contribute to the approval process?
- Excellent writing abilities for a variety of audiences
- Detail oriented communications professional with a strong sense of curiosity and executive presence, ability to handle ambiguity, ability to work in unstructured and fast paced environment, strong public speaking capability
- Eventually, take complete ownership of Solugen’s comms program and partner with marketing, product, executive, HR, R&D, and commercial team in doing so.
- Manage relationships with external consultant(s), third-party lab(s), PR Firms
- Ability to build out and manage a world class communications team
- Ability to be nimble with a willingness to embrace the speed and ambiguity of startup culture
- Passion for green chemistry and fighting climate change
- Comfort working in multiple roles
- Ability to self-manage and set priorities and schedule
- Creative problem-solving nature
- Appreciation and emphasis for safety above all else
- Respect for others
- Bachelor's degree or Masters in journalism or communications.
- Demonstrated track record of corporate communications strategy
- More than 10 years of experience in communications for chemical related products and industries
- A curious, creative & self-starter individual who can thrive in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Must be nimble and able to multi-task. Able to manage project.
- Has executive presence and can represent Solugen
- Critical thinker who can utilize their experience and quickly draw conclusions based on incomplete data. He/she is not afraid to propose and try new ideas and methods.
- Comfortable working in multi-cultural and dynamic environment.
Solugen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.